Sunday, August 17, 2008

The Graduate


Nana is now a BYU graduate.

She was interviewed as a part of the graduation and then we participated in a luncheon. Nana had several still pictures taken and then was interviewed for about 15 minutes in a video shoot. The results will be used for spotlights to advertise the BGS program on BYU-TV and for BYU magazine. The Bachelor of General Studies program is still young and has a small enough number of graduates (about 70 or so for August graduation) that they can put on a celebration for graduates and family. We enjoyed a nice lunch, souvenir photographs, and lots of congratulations. Later that afternoon Nana joined the other graduates in the academic procession and the commencement exercise in the Marriott Center and heard a fine address by Elder Richard G. Scott.

Uncle Don's son Brad was also graduating and we celebrated that evening at Macaroni Grill with Brad and his wife Kim along with Don and RoseMery.

The next day we met and received congratulations from President and Sister Samuelson. Later than afternoon, Nana had the thrill of having her name called as she received her diploma in the College of Humanities convocation. Frederick G. Williams, Distinguished Professor of Luso-Brazilian Studies and a descendant of the original Frederick G. Williams (a counselor to Joseph Smith) delivered an excellent address on the family and the things of real importance in life.

Congratulations to Dana for her hard work and diligence. Her dedication was a joy to see and her hard work has been rewarded. We are very proud of her.

We were glad to have Brett join us and we really appreciate his sacrifice of rising at 3:30 am to make his plane in LA so he could be here with us.

Grandpa's Testimony

Children and grandchildren, I want you to know that I have had many wonderful experiences in life and as a member of the Church. I have come to know, not merely believe, that God lives and he is literally our Father, he is the Father of our spirits. I know that Jesus is his Only Begotten Son in the flesh and is our Savior and Redeemer. I know that he restored his Church through Joseph Smith, the prophet.

Regarding these truths, I know them to be true and can say that these words of Alma are also my words when he speaks of what he knows to be true saying, "Behold, I say unto you they are made known unto me by the Holy Spirit of God. Behold, I have fasted and prayed many days that I might know these things of myself. And now I do know of myself that they are true; for the Lord God hath made them manifest unto me by his Holy Spirit..."

I also know these things to be true because "the Lord God hath made them manifest unto me by his Holy Spirit."

No comments: